A psychological evaluation consists of a series of different assessments that are designed to measure and describe different areas of functioning.
Common reasons for getting a psychological evaluations include, but are not limited to:
- Problems with mood (depression, irritability, mood swings)
- Possible learning disorders/ADHD
- Memory issues/Dementia
- Lack of improvement in therapy and/or with medications
- Clarification of diagnoses
What to Expect
Testing occurs over three separate sessions: Pretesting, Testing/Assessment, and Review.
- Pretesting: This session will last 45-75 minutes and includes a full clinical interview (i.e. a history of the current problem, a personal history, a family history, relevant medical history, etc.). This allows us to personalize your assessment and avoid unnecessary testing.
- Testing: This session will last between 2 and 4 hours, depending on the protocols needed. This is not something you can study or prepare for. You will be asked different questions and may be asked to do other tasks such as drawing pictures, telling stories, etc.
- Review: Approximately 3-4 weeks after finishing the testing, you will come back to review the results of the evaluation. This session will be 30 to 60 minutes. You will have an opportunity to discuss the recommendations in the report and ask any questions.
All evaluations are hand scored and all of the data from the different assessments are integrated in order to provide the most accurate picture of what you are experiencing and provide the best recommendations on how you should proceed in addressing your problems and concerns.
It is important for you to keep all scheduled appointments. Failure to keep scheduled appointments will result in delaying the evaluation process not only for yourself, but potentially someone else as well.
Will my insurance cover my psychological evaluation?
Most insurance plans will cover the psychological evaluation. If you have questions regarding whether your insurance benefits will cover the cost of the psychological evaluation, please call your insurance provider or our facility so that we may assist in helping you determine your benefits coverage for psychological services.
To find out more about services we offer, or to schedule an appointment for psychological evaluation with a licensed psychologist in Alma, please call or email our office.